Wednesday, May 31, 2006

THE HOUSE- A HOME

Last year when I visited my sister in upstate New York- (we hadn't seen eachother for about 30 years) it immediately felt like coming home. Not just the people in the house but the house itself seemed to welcome me, like an old time friend. It was as if the house morphed into a 'living' warm, material thing. It embraced me with its friendliness so it started to inspire me as a poet with the following poems- hope they can project some of the joy I felt to who ever is reading them!


Homecoming
coming home to a home that
welcomes you with a hug
where love is the rule and
inner warmth the side effect
where you're surrounded by
a treasury of books and
artifacts are the keepers of
the African heritage in pride
and the courage of the people
of the First Nations is honored
where the memories of 2Pac
and Malcolm and Martin Luther
are cherished and so many more
where they serve you soul food
cooked with creative genius
where lifestyle means generosity
respect and sharing
where the angels smile at you
and the rhythm of life
has the beat of a jazz tune
coming home that way to the home
of my chosen sister is like a precious
diamond that will never loose its shine
and in a house like that a common object as simple as a kitchen table becomes inspiring!
The Kitchen Table
there she is in a corner
of the warm open kitchen
the nerve center of the house
always clean never cleared
receiving on its surface all
the incoming and outgoing
communication of the people
surrounding her, using her
standing by her, sitting close
to her after they conquered
their own little space to put
a plate on top of her, a glass
a cup to enjoy breakfast or
supper with family or a friend
we became mates, the table and I
while reading the morning news
sipping my cup of green tea
the dog's head resting in my lap
the perfect place to start a new day!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home